Heat shrink tubing is an essential tool in various industries fields such as machinery, electronic equipment, automotive, and military applications. It can be used to insulate, protect, and identify wiring and cabling.
For a proper fit, it is important to consider some key factors. In this article, we discuss various types of heat shrink tubing and how to determine the required ratio for your needs.
What Is Heat Shrink Ratio?
Heat shrink is available in various sizes depending on the required use. The sizing of the shrink tubing is classified by the shrink ratio, which refers to how much the heat shrink tubing will shrink once heat has been applied to it.
Determining the desired heat shrink ratio is necessary before choosing a heat shrink product. You’ll want to make sure the heat shrink fits snuggly around the wiring or cables to ensue moisture and dirt/debris don’t touch the wiring. Understanding the various heat shrink tubing ratios and the proper applications will also save you time, effort, and money.
Common Heat Shrink Ratios
The most common heat shrink ratios are 2:1 and 3:1 shrink ratio. A 2:1 shrink ratio is used when the heat shrink tubing is required to shrink half of its original diameter.
A 3:1 shrink ratio, on the other hand, is used when the heat shrink is meant to shrink one-third of its original diameter. This diameter of tubing is three times the size before heat is applied.
Custom-Printed Heat Shrink Tubing
Custom-printed tubing is created with the use of advanced technology and equipment to “stamp” text or pictures on the tubing itself. The printing can be horizontal, vertical, one- or two-sided, and in various fonts.
A variety of colors and sizes can also be chosen to identify use of the tubing or to advertise a company logo or business name.
Custom-printed heat shrink tubing is available in two main ratio sizes and construction.
- Single Wall Printed – 2:1 Shrink Ratio. For projects with a single wall custom-printed 2:1 shrink ratio, the tubing is used for labeling and organizing wires and cables. This size is known as standard shrink.
- Single Wall Printed – 3:1 Shrink Ratio. The high shrink size, also known as 3:1 shrink ratio, can be used as an effective identifier for wires and cables.
- Dual Wall Printed – 2:1 Shrink Ratio. For added moisture protection, the dual wall custom-printed heat shrink tubing can be used for wires and cables. This tubing has adhesive-lined application for a tighter seal and protection.
- Dual Wall Printed – 3:1 Shrink Ratio. The same corrosion and moisture-resistant protection can be found with dual wall printed heat shrink tubing with a 3:1 shrink ratio.
Custom-Cut Heat Shrink Tubing
As with custom-printed heat shrink tubing, there are also many great benefits to using custom-cut tubing. As shrink tubing is manufactured in various lengths, it is important to have the proper size cut as per your project requirements. Remember to have extra length measured.
- Single Wall Cut – 2:1 Shrink Ratio. The ever-popular single wall heat shrink tubing with a 2:1 shrink ratio can be custom cut to your desired length. Heat shrink tubing is priced and sold according to ratio size and length of tubing.
- Single Wall Cut – 3:1 Shrink Ratio. If the project calls for heat shrink tubing with a 3:1 shrink ratio, the single wall tubing can be custom cut to the right length.
- Dual Wall Cut – 2:1 Shrink Ratio. The adhesive-lined dual wall heat shrink tubing with a 2:1 shrink ratio can be custom-cut for any wiring or cabling projects.
- Dual Wall Cut – 3:1 Shrink Ratio. A project requiring double security and a 3:1 shrink ratio can be completed with custom-cut dual wall heat shrink tubing.
Contact ShrinkShop for the Best-Quality Heat Shrink Tubing
For all of your custom-cut heat shrink tubing needs, see the leading experts at ShrinkShop. As the premier online supplier of Thermafix® Heat Shrinkable Tubing and adhesive lined Thermafix® Plus Heat Shrinkable Tubing, we offer excellent customer service.
With our state-of-the-art equipment and advanced technology, we offer printing of your business name or logo on a color-coordinated tubing. Custom-cut to your precise measurements, our high-quality products are guaranteed to suit your heat shrink tubing needs. To learn more about our heat shrink products, contact us today!