Heat shrink products are used in all fields, including the growing electric vehicle industry. The news website Quartz reports that sales of electric vehicles have increased 60% within the last year, with 1 in 7 cars sold being electric.
With the advanced technology of electric vehicles (EV), it is more important than ever to protect the delicate wiring components from abrasion, chemicals, fluctuating temperatures, and, of course, fires. This is why high-quality heat shrink tubing is beneficial.
How Electric Vehicle Manufacturers Uses Heat Shrink Tubing
Polyolefin bulk heat shrink tubing with shrink ratios of 2:1 and 3:1 can be used to enhance the safety of bundled of wiring as well as provide a protective shield against abrasion and moisture in electric vehicles. The airtight seal offers the best option for hoses, tubing, cables, and wires. Below are some of the ways heat shrink can be used in EV manufacturing.
Electrical Connections and Components
Electrical heat shrink tubing is used to form a tight fitting seal around the wires and electrical components of electric vehicles and acts as a barrier against fluids, moisture, and environmental factors.
- Moisture Damage: Wires cannot be exposed to moisture for obvious reasons. As electric vehicles depend on the top performance of all wiring, heat shrink tubing is vital to keeping the electrical system safe from moisture damage.
- Dust and Debris Damage: In addition to moisture damage, wiring in electric vehicles can be damaged by dust and debris. The coating of heat shrink tubing and the tight end seals prevent dust from settling in along the electrical fields.
- Improve Insulation: The electrical connection and components also require superior protection with proper insulation tools. The polyolefin material offers non-conductive insulation where it needs to be to prevent delicate components from coming into contact with each other.
Wire harnessing is an arrangement of wires or cables bundled together to safely transmit electrical power. Heat shrink tubing can offer the necessary protection.
- Organize Wires and Cables: The tubing can securely form a collective protective shield around the wires in close proximately. This can be beneficial for organizing same-minded wire and cable sets to prevent hazardous situations.
- Electromagnetic Interference: Electromagnetic interference, also referred to as radio frequency interference, is seen when nearby electronic sources interrupt the function of electronics. With electric vehicles, heat shrink tubing can be a barrier to these harmful interference sources.
- Improve Durability: The wire harnessing assembly is intended to protect the enclosed fixtures. This secure covering works as a strain reliever in addition to protecting the integrity of the wires with enhanced durability.
Electric vehicles have two separate batteries with one functioning as a regular car battery and the other being a lithium-ion battery. The latter is the rechargeable battery that powers the “transmission” and requires durable heat shrink tubing products to insulate and protect the cables and wiring.
- Thermal Damage: Heat shrink products help to prevent thermal damage to the batteries and components. The superior cross-thread polyolefin material provides a thermal resistance to nearby heat sources.
- Increase the Lifespan: Heat shrink tools help to extend the lifespan of the battery pack by protecting against moisture damage, providing abrasion and chemical resistance, and acts as a thermal shield.
Electric vehicles have a multitude of components, wires, cables, and connections that require security with the use of heat shrink products.
- High voltage indictors (universal orange color)
- Fluid management
- Electrical insulator
- Under hood cable protection
- Protective covering
- Wire identifier
Heat Shrink Products Used in Electric Vehicles
- Polyolefin Heat Shrink Tubing: This durable material is designed with cross-linked physical qualities to produce a durable tool that can withstand extreme temperatures.
- Adhesive Heat Shrink: Using adhesive heat shrink tubing provides a secure fit between the tubing and the wires. Known as dual wall heat shrink, this form of tubing offers better protection than single wall tubing to wires exposed to exterior environmental factors.
- Custom-Printed Heat Shrink Tubing: Having a manufacturer, business, or mechanic’s name or logo printed on heat shrink tubing can be a major boost in promotion techniques. Electric vehicles with custom-printed heat shrink tubing is a great place to start.
Get Heat Shrink Products from ShrinkShop
At ShrinkShop, we provide heat shrink tubing for electrical wires and cables in the manufacturing of electric vehicles. Our range of types, colors, sizes, and shrink ratios are available for custom-print options without compromising the orientation of text and images. Discuss your needs with our friendly team at 1-800-920-8823 or fill out our form.